I absolutely love the colder season and gingerbread is one of the reasons why! Store bought gingerbread often has egg in it, or dairy, and as someone who doesn’t eat either of those things, it’s something I missed until I tried out this recipe for egg free, dairy free Vegan Gingerbread Cookies.
I hope you like it too!
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 140g Dairy Free Margarine
- 100g Billington’s Fairtrade Demerara Sugar
- 3 tbsp Billington’s Fairtrade Golden Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsp Rayner’s Organic Fairtrade Golden Syrup
- 350g Dove’s Farm Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 1 tbsp Suma Organic Ground Ginger
- 2 tbsp Suma Organic Cinnamon
- Tap Water
- Combine the flaxseed with 2.5 tbsp water and leave for 5 mins to make it gelatinous in order to bind the gingerbread mixture.
- Melt the margarine, sugar, golden syrup in a pan over a low heat, then pop it into a mixing bowl and leave to cool. Be careful, this mixture will be extremely hot and sticky!
- Add the flaxseed mixture and stir in, then add the bicarb and spices, and a pinch of salt. Mix until it becomes a smooth dough. Again, be careful, the mixture will be extremely hot!
- Chill this for around half an hour to 45 mins.
- Heat the oven to 200C (gas mark 6). Dust a work surface, ready to roll the dough out to about half a cm thickness.
- Use winter themed cookie cutters, and cut out as many cookies as you can with the dough. Ball up the remaining dough and roll out again. Cut out as many shapes as you can. Repeat this until all the dough is used.
- Put cookies onto a greased baking tray (or greased baking paper on a baking tray). Bake until golden (about 12 minutes).
- Leave cookies to cool on the baking tray for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies on a cooling rack if you have one, or onto a plate to cool completely. Try not to stack them until they are completely cooled.
You can keep your gingerbread cookies in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Send us your pics to @eighthdayveg or email them.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Dairy Free Recipe, On The Eighth Day Kitchen, Vegan, Vegan Dessert Recipe, vegan recipe, veganuary