I wasn’t sure what stir-up Sunday was until last year when I noticed a display in our Manchester shop with all of the ingredients for it. Stir-up Sunday is always on the last Sunday before advent, and it’s the day people prepare their Christmas Puddings.
Here’s a boozy vegan Christmas Pudding recipe that I tried out last year, nut free to accommodate my partner’s nut allergy too.
- 125g Dairy Free Margarine (and a little bit more for greasing)
- 375g Infinity Foods Organic Dried Figs
- 75ml Rum
- 175g Infinity Foods Organic Raisins
- 175g Infinity Foods Organic Sultanas
- 1 Large Apple (peeled & grated)
- 170g Billington’s Fairtrade Demerara Sugar
- 100g Breadcrumbs
- 100g Dove’s Farm Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 tbsp all spice (or mix of 1:1 mix of cinnamon and nutmeg, with a pinch of ground cloves)
- Eco-friendly If You Care Parchment Baking Paper
- If You Care 100% Recycled Aluminium Foil
- - Cut out a circle of the baking paper and use it to line a greased pudding bowl.
- Grease a large sheet of baking paper then lay it on top of a large sheet of foil, greased side up. Fold a pleat in the middle of each sheet.
- Roughly chop 125 of the figs, and pop them to the side. Put the rest of the figs, margarine and the rum into a food processor, and blend until smooth then scrape into a mixing bowl. Add the chopped figs, all the sultanas, raisins, apple, sugar, breadcrumbs, flour and spice. Stir everything together then spoon the mixture into your little foil pudding basin.
- Cover with the greased paper foil sheet and tie with a bit of string.
- Pop pudding bowl with your pudding parcel in it into a saucepan with the scrunched up bit of the foil at the bottom, to act as a little bridge to stop the pudding touching the bottom.
- Boil the kettle and fill the pan with boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, adding water as needed. Leave to cool.
- Your pudding will keep in a cool dry place until Christmas (or for a year after making).
Send us your pics to @eighthdayveg or email them.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Dairy Free Recipe, On The Eighth Day Kitchen, Vegan, Vegan Dessert Recipe, vegan recipe, veganuary