Stan, one of our chefs, has created this recipe for high protein, high energy vegan breakfast pancakes to start your day right and keep you full & satisfied.
Makes up approx 8 pancakes
Prep time: 10-15minutes
Protein content: 21.8g
- Measuring Cups (same good old cups you use for baking)
- Pancake Pan (or any good shallow and wide frying pan)
- non metal spatula
- 1½ cups Minor Figures Oat Milk or Provamel Organic Unsweetened Soya Milk
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup Doves Farm Organic White Flour
- ¼ cup Doves Farm Freee Gluten Free Gram Flour
- 1 tbsp of corn flour
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 tsp virgin coconut oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 sliced banana per portion
- 2 tbsp Smooth Unsalted Suma Organic Peanut Butter
- Suma Organic Fairtrade Ground Cinnamon to dust (optional)
CHEF'S TIP: 'The batter can be prepared in advance and sit in the fridge for a few days. You also don’t have to use up all the batter in one go and store the remaining quantity in the fridge for up to 4-5 days if needed.'
'Traditionally, pancakes are made with dairy milk and eggs. The dairy milk can be swapped with most alternatives. Oat milk is especially good as it is creamy and lush. The eggs are only there as the binding agent for the batter and in this recipe are swapped with gram flour (aka chickpea flour) which contains a similar amount of protein to eggs.'
- Pour all ingredients into the blender jug starting with the milk and blend for a few seconds until smooth and there are no lumps. If the blender jug has no spout, transfer the batter into a large jug with a spout to make it easier to pour onto the pan.
- Warm up your pan on medium heat until fairly hot and add 2 tsp of either virgin coconut oil or rapeseed oil. Pour the batter into the centre of the pan in one confident movement. Use a soup ladle to approximately measure out one pancake. Hold the pan handle with your other hand while pouring the batter to swirl and make the batter evenly cover the surface.
- Fry for approximately 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. You will notice the white side (the not yet fried) of the pancake changing colour and becoming more solid which will be your indicator to flip.
- While your pancakes are frying, peel one ripe banana, slice into circles and set aside. Once a sufficient number of pancakes have been prepared, spread a large tablespoon of good quality peanut butter on one of your pancakes (by good quality we mean one with no additives and preferably no palm oil, take a look at our options to find the one for you)
- Arrange the banana slices in whichever pattern that you prefer, then douse everything in a hearty serving of Rayner's Organic Fairtrade Golden Syrup, date syrup or no syrup at all, depending how sweet your tooth is. Dust with cinnamon.
Find our shop & cafe on 111 Oxford Road Manchester, UK, M1 7DU for bakes and eats made by our chefs.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: healthy breakfast ideas, high protein, sports nutrition, Vegan, vegan breakfast, vegan gym food, vegan sports nutrition, veganuary